Since 2012, CVCCS has offered a program called Weekend Blessings that provides meal bundles of 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, snacks, and drinks to students in the Conestoga Valley School District referred by the school, with bundles of food to take home for the weekends.
Weekend Blessings was created to provide food to children who face food insecurity over the weekend during the school year. For some children, the only meals they receive per day are at school.
- Meal bundles are assembled on Tuesdays by our dedicated volunteers. The meals are then distributed to school counselors the same day. We serve on average 130 children a week during the school year.
- On Fridays, a child who wants to receive a meal bundle goes to their guidance counselor for a bag that is discreetly placed into their backpack.
- The food items included are easy to make meals that children can safely prepare themselves. A majority of the children served by Weekend Blessings are often responsible for making meals by themselves.
What can you do to help?
- The cost is $8.00 to fund one child for one week, which equals $290 to feed one child for the entire school year. Will you sponsor a child so they can have access to food when school is out for the weekend?
- Secure online giving: cvccs.org/give.
- By check: Make payable to CVCCS (write Weekend Blessings in the note area). Mail to CVCCS, 2420 Gehman Lane, Lancaster, PA 17602.
- You can also start a food drive for Weekend Blessings with your family, church, or in the community by collecting the following:
- Canned soups (pop-top cans)
- Canned pasta (i.e.- Chef Boyardee)
- Boxes of mac & cheese
- Fruit cups (i.e.- 4 pack Dole or Del Monte plastic bowls)
- Applesauce cups
- Individual sized cereal boxes or bags
- Oatmeal packets
- Pop-tarts or breakfast bars
- Single servings of peanut butter
- Non-refrigerated meat or cheese snacks (i.e.- Slim Jim)
- Individual boxes of raisins/cranberries
We need your help in order to continue this highly important program in our community!
“Feed the Hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be bright as noon.” Isaiah 58:10.